Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3 posters

Wikipedia

Lannro
    Lannro
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 207
    Registration date : 2008-11-03

Wikipedia Empty Wikipedia

Post by Lannro Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:31 am

When it comes to trusting what Wikipedia says on things, what do you tend to do? Do you trust it without thinking? Do you only trust it if it has sources? Do you only trust it if you check the sources?
    I know there are people who don't bother trusting anything that Wikipedia says. But if you aren't that type of person, but run into a bit of information that you find to be contradictory to what you have always/currently hold to be 'true', then what do you do?
    Do you change what you think, or do you ignore the information presented to you? Do you choose to ignore some things that Wikipedia tells you, yet believe others?
    Do you only listen to it when it agrees with you?

tl;dr: Wikipedia? Discuss.
    Stv

Number of posts : 6
    Registration date : 2008-12-17

Wikipedia Empty Re: Wikipedia

Post by Stv Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:23 pm

I tentatively hold Wiki to be true.

That is to say, true unless proven otherwise. That being said, I generally only really consult Wiki on trivial matters.

If I'm looking at Wiki for a more substantive reason, IE: Academics, then I will take what they said to be true if and only if I can find it from a more legitimate source.

I personally think Wiki is a wonderful tool that needs to be taken with a grain of salt. Disregarding the truth-false distinction of Wiki articles, it is an encyclopedia and as such is good only for superficial information. It gives you the sweeping generalizations about a topic without (usually) going into pedantic detail.

tl;dr? Wiki is about as useful as American news networks.
    SweetSong
    SweetSong
    Lesser Member
    Lesser Member

Number of posts : 78
    Registration date : 2008-11-04

Post by SweetSong Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:26 pm

I take Wiki at face value. When looking up something I know nothing about, I generally hold it to be true, although if it's anything important I try to verify it. I only ever use it to get a general idea on something, or to refresh my memory on something I've half-forgotten.
    I think there are enough people obsessed with making sure the information on Wikipedia is right to trust it as far as you would many encyclopedias. The more obscure the article, however, the more cautious one ought to be. But mainstream stuff... sure, why not?
    Lannro
    Lannro
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 207
    Registration date : 2008-11-03

Post by Lannro Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:30 pm

I think that because of the fact-checking culture that has been born form Wikipedia, I am going to believe most everything that it says, so long as there are no [citation needed], or anything of the like. It has never given me faulty information before, so why should I think that it may yet do so? This reminds me of the Reliablism, and that, so long as it has never steered me wrong before, it can be trusted for the future.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:41 am